Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Metaphor

Whether I was born a cripple, or whether it was something that came upon me at an early age, I don't claim to know. On this plane, everyone has a bit of a limp at the least, causing them to stumble whenever they stray from our Lord's paths. But as for me, while I can occasionally (in certain company) walk or even run on two good legs as well as any athlete, there are times where one of my legs is in such pain as to render it nearly useless.

Most days, I stagger along with only a slight cramping, allowing more healthy travelers to pass me by. Over-eager runners or blindfolded types will often tread on my bad foot, causing me to come to a full stop for anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. Worse yet are the times when I myself do not pay attention to where my mind or my body is going, and I find myself in a rocky wasteland that I can barely manage to get out of. Once I actually woke up to find my bad foot caught between two rocks, with no idea how I got there. On those days I must be rescued, like a helpless lamb. The shame of knowing that someone else is then responsible for my mistakes causes my useless limb to ache all the more.

But hey, a free ride is a free ride.
One day He'll bring me to those healing waters.


"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take [my wound] away from me. But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
--2 Corinthians 12:8-9

No comments: