Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

I found a T-shirt that says "Geek (save ends)". I'm actually a little offended. Well, okay, not really; I don't take it that seriously, but it's odd enough that I feel like saying something about it.

The shirt's joke is that it's presenting "being a geek" as a negative condition from D&D. For instance, a D&D attack might say "Target is poisoned and loses 1d8 hit points per round (save ends)". The "save ends" part means that every round, the poisoned character can make a saving throw (roll a die) to see if they stop being poisoned. But you would never see something positive using this terminology, like "You receive a +2 morale bonus to attack for being awesome (save ends)". And the word "geek" has been reclaimed in recent years to mean pretty much that: geeky stuff is awesome. So why the negativity?

And if the makers of the T-shirt didn't mean to make being a geek sound negative, then why aren't they geek enough to make sure it couldn't be taken the wrong way?

No comments: